The following is a summary of the FIS rules, which are now held to be binding in law:
- RESPECT - Do not endanger others.
- CONTROL - Adapt the manner and speed of your skiing to your and to the general conditions on the mountain. ability
- ROUTE - The skier/snowboarder in front has priority - leave enough space.
- OVERTAKING - Leave plenty of space when overtaking a slower skier/snowboarder.
- STARTING OUT - Always look in every direction before starting.
- STOPPING - Stop only at the edge of the piste or where you can be seen easily.
- CLIMBING - Always keep to the side of the piste.
- SIGNS - Obey all signs and markings - they are provided for your safety.
- ASSISTANCE - In case of accidents, provide help or alert the rescue services.
- IDENTIFICATION - All those involved in an accident, including witnesses, should exchange names and addresses.
For more ski safety, tips and mountain advice: All ski tips | Ski lifts | Pistes | Accidents and first aid | Altitude sickness | Mountain Guides | Sunburn and snowblindness | Learning to ski tips | ISF rules | Weather | Off-piste safety | On-piste safety