This chalet is only available to guests booking the whole chalet for sole use.
Chalet Grand Torsai, Val D'Isere
Grand Torsaï is just six years old, really pretty and very pleasantly finished. It is the smaller of our two chalets in Le Fornet. It is slightly beyond and above La Couchire (forty-five seconds beyond, to be precise, along the same underground passages, and fifty steps above, though with the ski locker and boot warmers sensibly at the bottom).
In a nutshell, the highest and emptiest pistes, the best powder, the Pissaillas Glacier and much of the area’s off-piste are all reached via the cable car, two minutes from this chalet. So are two of the best mountain restaurants, the Signal and Edelweiss. The hamlet of Le Fornet itself is the prettiest part of Val d’Isère, and has more excellent restaurants.
Two of its five bedrooms are admirably compact, but with enormous sliding windows and wonderful views. The other bedrooms have more space and great views, but only normal-sized windows. All have smart bathrooms. Down one floor are the sauna and the indoor hot tub shown in our pictures. The split-level sitting-dining room is the heart of the chalet, in particular the large square dining table and the vast picture windows. Romantics appreciate the sunniest views in all Val d’Isère, stretching from dawn over the Galise, on the border with Italy, to dusk beyond Bellevarde. Non-romantics can log onto the web via WiFi. This split-level room had a large stone fireplace in its centre until a few months ago, when it was deemed to be rather too big and completely spoiling the view, so it has been removed and replaced with another large sofa – making this room extremely comfortable, convivial and aesthetically spectacular!
Features - Chalet Grand Torsai, Val D'Isere
- Part of spectacular chalet, designed especially for us two years ago
- Sweet bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms throughout
- Most rooms give option of large twin beds or huge doubles (please specify which you prefer when booking)
- Split-level sitting-dining room with central log fire and DVD with LCD screen. The fireplace has been removed to create more space and even better views.
- Sauna and indoor hot tub, ski room with boot warmers
- Wi-Fi internet access
- Fornet cable car 50m from front door, pistes 100m, bus 10m
- Rapid access to major ski area with glacier, empty pistes, easy pistes, off-piste, moguls and good mountain restaurants
- Stunning views of miles of mountains and the pretty hamlet of Le Fornet
- Val d’Isère’s best restaurant next door and most popular restaurant nearby
- A chef and an assistant, who live downstairs
The chalet has excellent hot water, more than adequate heating, CD players, radios, hairdryers, irons and ironing boards, chess, backgammon, Scrabble and cards. Each chalet has a mobile phone for emergency and incoming calls. Guests wishing to use it for outgoing calls can buy credit from the shops. No chalet has a land line. Guests wishing to use the internet need mobile connection or to visit one of the several internet cafes.
Please Note: For all parties booking, we levy a damage deposit of £1,000. This is payable by credit card prior to departure, and refunded after the end of the holiday upon satisfactory inspection of the chalet.
Accommodation - Chalet Grand Torsai, Val D'Isere
5 bedrooms for 10 guests, with 5 baths
- Bedroom 1: Twin/double (L-shaped, outer walls 16’6” x 10’) on second floor. Roomy bathroom with wc.
- Bedroom 2: Twin/double (L-shaped, outer walls 16’6” x 10’) on first floor. Roomy bathroom with wc.
- Bedroom 3: Twin/double (10’ x 7’) on second floor, big french windows to large balcony with superb views south up pistes. Small bathroom with wc.
- Bedroom 4: Twin/double (10’ x 7’) on first floor, big french windows to wide terrace with superb views south up pistes. Small bathroom with wc.
- Bedroom 5: Twin/double (12’ x 9’) on first floor by living room. Bathroom. Separate wc.
- Sitting-Dining Room:(23’ x 15’) Bright, south-facing, split-level room, vast bay windows, balcony and marvellous views. TV and DVD. Open-plan kitchen. WiFi.
Meals - Chalet Grand Torsai, Val D'Isere
We start with a proper breakfast. Fruit juice, porridge, Dorset cereals, bacon, eggs, baguettes straight from the famous local bakery, a croissant or pain au chocolat if you like, yogurts, British tea and fresh coffee from Italian espresso pots (with Nescafé and bizarre infusions for those who prefer them). A Cooked Breakfast option is also available.
You return from the slopes to find bread and jam, a freshly-baked cake, hot chocolate etc. left out for you.
Nightly canapés are followed by a three-course, fixed-menu, dinner-party-style meal. The cuisine is largely French, though with a fusion of other influences – what Londoners call Modern British. (Foreign, in other words.) With dinner, we serve free unlimited quantities of a selection of very drinkable French AOC wines and vins de pays.
Please note: The chalet host will have a day off during the course of the week, during which you will be required to eat out.