#Skisafe is an ongoing campaign from the Foreign and Commonwealth office designed to helps Brits stay safe when travelling abroad. The idea behind it is to offer information and advice on important factors that people often overlook while travelling. With modern travel you can ski virtually ever corner of the globe with holidays to Europe, the Americas, Japan and China all accessible through Iglu Ski.
The campaign features several key points for Brits to consider before travelling along with some useful information on destinations. The Travel Aware site has a great page on preparing for winter sports abroad on things to do before you go and staying safe when you are in resort. Their campaign also advises on getting adequate travel insurance, making copies of your travel documentation, leaving emergency contact details with someone in the UK, letting said person know where you intend to travel, and visiting your GP to gain advice on health and any possible inoculations or medication you may require, all accessible on the Travel Aware site.
The Foreign and Commonwealth office have also produced mini campaign's offering advice for single travellers, single sex parties (hen & stag parties), package holiday makers, sports travellers and elderly & retired travellers. With ski holidays increasingly popular within the UK and accessibility at it's best you could be any one of the above when taking your next holiday. The vast majority of holidays offered by Igluski are indeed package holidays, therefore these advice campaign's will be relevant to most of our customers.
The Travel Checklist
There is a general foreign travel checklist that can be used for all holidays for before and during your holiday. But specific #skisafe checklists are as follows:
Before you go
- Take out appropriate travel insurance that covers winter sports activities you will be doing
- Declare any medical conditions or old injuries to your insurer or you may risk invalidating your insurance
- Get relevant training if you plan to ski off piste, it could save your life
- If you're travelling to Europe, take your free UK Global Health Insurance Card (UK GHIC) for necessary treatment at public hospitals
- Wear appropriate gear for your activity
- Check the weather forecast and avalanche bulletin regularly
- Get relevant training. Consider hiring a mountain guide if you're skiing off piste
- Don't mix alcohol and winter sports, you could put your life or those around you in danger
- Watch your speed, distance and be aware of your surroundings to avoid collision
Last but not least, have a safe, fun-filled holiday, safe in the knowledge you are fully prepared.