Will this ski season be known as the winter that kept on giving? The start of winter didn’t get off to the best start but February, March and April have seen fantastic snowfall with many ski resorts in the Alps still open during the last week of April. El Nino has smashed records in North America with reports of increased visitor numbers thanks to the magnificent snowfall throughout winter, creating one of the best seasons in recent years. Jackson Hole in USA ended the season totaling over 10 metres of snowfall for its 50th anniversary year!
Back over in the Alps some of our leading resorts received over 8 metres of snow during the season, including St Anton, Tignes and Flaine. British skiers and snowboarders basked in the excellent ski conditions throughout most of winter.
Powder day in April in Les Arcs
Here at Iglu Ski we work with over 50 ski holiday tour operators in order to provide the largest amount of ski deals in the UK market to ensure we can find the best holiday for our customers. We currently have ski holidays available in over 200 resorts across 16 countries with thousands of ski chalets, hotels and apartment options. With this broad selection of holidays available we have an excellent insight into UK skiers and snowboarders favourite ski destinations. Here are your best-selling ski resorts for winter 2015/16: 10. Courchevel The swankiest ski resort in the prestigious 3 Valleys comes in 10th place again this winter as it attracts thousands of skiers and snowboarders every year to discover the world famous slopes. Despite its elite status, there are plenty of fantastic value chalets here including Chalet Cascades and Chalet Hotel Coq de Bruyere. View ski holidays in Courchevel
9. Les Deux Alpes Les Deux Alpes is consistently popular each season as it is one of the most snow-sure resorts in the Alps and is the perfect destination if you can only travel at the start or end of the season. Delight in the long hours of sunshine and party the night away in the legendary après bars. View ski holidays in Les Deux Alpes 8. Alpe d’Huez This bustling resort attracts extreme sports enthusiast all year round, but truly comes alive in the winter with it’s breathtaking alpine views from Pic Blanc glacier, it’s insane après scene and 250km of fantastic pistes including the longest black ski run in Europe! View ski holidays in Alpe d’Huez
7. Val Thorens If you are after top snow conditions then look no further than the highest ski resort in Europe. With skiing up to 3200m above sea level and access to the 600km of pistes in the 3 Valleys you are guaranteed a fun packed week in this ski wonderland. View ski holidays in Val Thorens 6. Meribel Discover one of the prettiest ski resorts in France and spend a week surrounded by charming chalets and beautiful tree lines runs in the largest linked ski area in the world. Meribel is popular due to the large variety of ski chalets and chalet hotels available. View ski holidays in Meribel
5. La Plagne This ski paradise has managed to push its way up 3 spots since last season as a result of the huge amount of ski accommodation on offer (Iglu Ski currently has 60 properties available) and the dependable snowfall (La Plagne received 839cm of snow in winter 2015/16). Head to La Plagne next winter to explore the extensive 425km of ski runs that make up the Paradiski area. View ski holidays in La Plagne 4. Les Arcs Les Arcs has secured its spot within the top 5 as it is a fantastic ‘all round ski resort.’ With spectacular views, towering peaks and connections to the equally-as-impressive La Plagne, you are always surrounded my pristine mountains vistas during your stay. Together with the fantastic ski area, choice of villages and bustling bars you are guaranteed an exhilarating week on the slopes in Les Arcs. Have you read about the new Mille 8 area?
View ski holidays in Les Arcs
3. St Anton British skiers and snowboarders love après. FACT. This is why year after year St Anton makes it into the top 3. If you want the best après, you head to St Anton! Once you’ve experienced Mooserwirt and KK’s there’s no going back to anything else. Winter 2016/17 will see a brand new cable car link in the Arlberg ski area connecting Stuben to Zurs making passage between the ski resorts much easier and faster. This will make ski holidays to St Anton much more desirable and the newly connected 305km of pistes may help push St Anton up the leader board next winter. View ski holidays in St Anton
2. Val d’Isere The Escape Killy duo take the top spots as the world famous ski area attracts thousands of British skiers and snowboarders once again. The charming Val d’Isere village has over 80 ski property options including Chalet Hotel Champs Avalins, Chalet Hotel Savoie and Chalet Lo Soli. View ski holidays in Val d’Isere 1. Tignes Tignes reins at the top for the second year in a row as the most booked ski resort at Iglu Ski for winter 2015/16. With high altitude skiing available nearly all year round, it is one of the most snow dependable resorts in Europe. Totaling 876cm of snowfall this season there has been excellent skiing available most of the winter and the greatest selection of ski chalets, hotels and apartments for all group sizes. View ski holidays in Tignes
Top North America
Thinking about next ski season? View 2017 ski deals
Take a look back at the best ski videos of 2015. Last year was an excellent year for skiing and snowboarding as technology continues to advance, as athletes reinvent freestyle tricks and as people become more creative with media. How will 2016 top this? Earlier this year we put together our top 5 videos from winter 2014/15, so we’ve picked some fresh favourites for this end of year round up. 2015 was full of amazing snowsports videos and films, from record breaking freestyle to hilarious ski humour to Hollywood style cinematography in the world’s most exotic snowy locations.
Once again, GB’s Billy Morgan pushes the boundaries of freestyle snowboarding and stomps a trick that everyone else can only dream about. On his last run of the ski season he lands the world’s first quadruple cork:
‘French Mountains’ created this hilarious comedy video of sayings overheard in French ski resorts. For anyone that has had a ski holiday in a resort in France, you would have heard quite a few of these before!
GB snowboarder, Jamie Nichols, goes bigger and better for his 2nd stunt at The Snow Centre, Hemel Hempstead. Here’s what Jamie gets up to in the summer months in the UK:
This fast paced short ski film starring Kevin Rolland and Julien Régnier features locations all over La Plagne – evening skiing down the Bobsleigh track! It’s super stylised, fun-filled and amazing to see all the locations used in and around La Plagne.
The perfect video to see how far snowboarding, and snowsports, has progressed. It’s easy to see why this is our favourite video of 2015:
As the UK’s largest online ski specialist, we work with over 50 ski tour operators so we can offer the widest range of ski properties and holidays to help find our customers the perfect ski holiday. Alpine Action is one of the tour operators we work with who offer 14 catered ski chalets in the 3 Valleys. The ski chalets offer quality accommodation run by very experienced staff. In December 2015, Alpine Action took 3 of our ski experts, Seb, Ian and Rufus, to Meribel to discover the Alpine Action ski experience. Here is Seb’s account of his trip:
Alpine Action run a very slick operation in Meribel and La Tania - everything was done to ensure we had a relaxing time. We were transferred quickly and efficiently to Chalet Serpolet in a brand new coach and we were treated to a drinks reception upon arrival by our two chalet hosts (who were very friendly and helpful throughout our stay). Alpine Action boast an impressive portfolio of chalets, all of which have their own character and style - they range from the traditional cosy chalet (Chalet Cote Coeur), the modern (Chalet Toubkal) and the retro (Chalet Rosalie with it’s smashing 70s bathroom). What the chalets all have in common is that they certainly fall into the more luxurious end of the market - our chalet featured an outdoor hot tub, sauna, games room and a spacious living area (very comfortable sofas).
Rufus, Ian and Seb
The Meribel chalets are all located within walking distance of the resort centre, but Alpine Action employ several drivers that whisk guests straight from their chalet door to the lifts in private minibuses. Once you return from the slopes in the evening, you simply give a driver a call and he will take you straight back to your chalet. Evening meals were always an interesting experience - first up were canopies (mozzarella on a shortbread base), accompanied by sweet wine and the warm glow of the log fire. We were then served served with some of the best chalet food I have come across (the salmon and the duck were particular highlights). Dinner was followed by a cheese board and port (and beer pong).
The duck dinner, Chalet Cote Coeur & the salmon meal
The resort of Meribel is centrally located in the 3 Valleys, so it serves as a great base from which skiers can explore Courchevel and Val Thorens. We were shown around the ski slopes by the Alpine Action boss, Ian, whose knowledge of the 3 Valleys is second to none. He took us on a ski trip over to Les Menuires and then up to Val Thorens (there was some great powder snow there), before he treated us to a meal in Pizzaria Du Motteret (where I would thoroughly recommend the Hawai Pizza). We also spent a morning skiing into Courchevel (although the snow was a bit icy here), before venturing down towards La Tania, where there was some relaxing tree skiing (and another fine pizza at the end). The run down from the top of the Saulire Express down to Meribel (with some spectacular scenery in the dying light of the day) was a highlight for me.
The town of Meribel is great for those who enjoy apres skiing. Some of the best bars we went to was the Rond Point Bar (good live music in there) and the Meribar (ideal for a quick drink while waiting for your driver). For those wanted to experience some good nightlife I would recommend Barometer (try out the Mutzig beer in here) and Jacks. If you wish to dance the night away, look no further than O’Sullivans (formally known as Dicks T Bar). The great thing about Meribel is that all the bars are located around the town centre, so you never have to walk very far from one to another.
The Alpine Action experience is certainly memorable and it is one I would certainly recommend for people looking for high end accommodation, good food and great customer service.
By Seb Mearman
Chalet Trois Coeurs
Chalet Rosalie One
Chalet Rosalie Two
Chalet Cote Coeur
Chalet Toubkal One
Chalet Toubkal Two
Winter is here and December is the time where the Iglu Ski staff head out to the mountains all over Europe to refresh our ‘ski heads’ by testing the slopes, discovering new additions in resort and viewing our best-selling accommodations so we have all the expert knowledge to recommend the perfect ski holidays to our customers over w. You can follow the Iglu Ski team’s antics on social by #igluinthesnow
There were multiple groups from the ski team staying in Tignes from 12th – 17th December. Krystelle & Scotty were staying at Chalet Hotel Aiguille Percee, hosted by Mark Warner; Alice, Ella & Megan were staying at Chalet Alaska with Ski Total as their hosts, and Marco stayed with Inghams at Chalet Camille. After the large snowfall at the end of November the slopes in Tignes were still in good condition thanks to the high altitude and snowmaking facilities. In the early mornings and late in the afternoon some of the slopes were a little icy but during the day the skiing felt great. There were plenty of runs open with barely any brown patches on piste at all. The Espace Killy ski area has fantastic snow making facilities which helped considerably during this dry December.
Krystelle, Marco & Scotty
Alice, Ella & Megan
View 2016 ski holidays in Tignes
Most of the team staying in Tignes also spend time over in Val d’Isere, below is Krystelle’s photos from their day over there. The pistes behind Solaise where in the best condition (even better than the Tignes side). The blue runs off the Glacier Express were fantastic at late morning before heading into Val d’Isere for lunch. Tilly and Ella were staying in Meribel with Powder White but came over to Val d’Isere for FIS World Cup. Tilly had this to say about her stay… ‘Val d'Isere has a vast area of skiing and lots of nightlife! We got up for first tracks and the snow was brilliant for early season. We were very fortunate to see the World Cup first hand, the atmosphere when the French were racing was incredible.‘
View 2016 ski holidays in Val d'Isere
Beth and Lisa were on a hosted trip by Madame Vacances of key resorts in France. Their Alps adventure took them to Alpe d’Huez, Flaine and Les 2 Alpes. Similar to other resorts, the snow wasn’t perfect but there was still enough to enjoy a brilliant day on the slopes in the December sunshine.
View 2016 ski holidays in Alpe d'Huez
View 2016 ski holidays in Flaine
View 2016 ski holidays in Les 2 Alpes
Laura and Josh joined Neilson Ski Holidays in Mayrhofen just before xmas week from 16th – 19th December and we’re lucky enough to be greeted by a fresh few inches of snowfall. Here’s what Laura had to say about their trip… ‘After good snowfall in November, the wide lower slopes had good conditions, firm corduroy piste in the morning that softened up by 11am for easy, enjoyable skiing for all levels. Once we reached 2000m the 15cm of new snow provided excellent skiing both on and off the marked piste. We were still finding fresh lines to ski when the lifts closed and apres began!‘
View 2016 ski holidays in Mayrhofen
Christian and James are based out in Morzine throughout the year and were keen to pop over to Avoriaz to check out the new Transition festival and see how the slopes were looking.
View 2016 ski holidays in Avoriaz
Seb, Rufus and Ian enjoyed a 3 Valleys adventure with Powder White from 14th-17th December. The snow was icy in parts in the first thing but by late morning softened up. The run down from the top of Saulire Express down to Meribel was a highlight of the trip. Read more about their trip in Seb's 'Alpine Action Experience' blog
View 2016 ski holidays in Meribel
View more about Sun Peaks
Meet the Iglu Ski Team | View 2016 ski deals | 2017 now on sale
You do not currently have any holidays in your shortlist.
You currently have in your shortlist.
"Just home from Christmas in Val d'Isere... this was the best ski holiday I have ever been on. Val is stunning, the hotel fabulous, staff sensational and skiing out of this world. We booked through Iglu. They were fantastic. Peter had great ski knowledge, offered advice and went the extra mile. " - Pamela (Dec 2015)