Portes du Soleil ski area
Ski Areas | Skiing in France
Les Portes du Soleil is one of the largest linked ski area in the world, and consists of 12 resorts from Lake Geneva in Switzerland through to Mont Blanc in France, with an enormous 600kms of slopes. With so much to choose from in this extensive area, skiers and snowboarders of all ability levels are well catered for. Snowboarders will love the great selection of snow parks with half-pipes and hand rails, located in many of the resorts of the area.
The villages are well linked by road and by piste, enabling you to clock up as much or as little mileage under your skis as you like.
Situated only 1 ½ hours from Geneva, the Portes du Soleil is an excellent choice for those looking to hit the Alps for a weekend’s ski break and equally for those with a little more time on their hands.
Ski resorts in the Portes du Soleil
The resorts differ in style from those with bold modern architecture, traffic free centres and doorstep skiing through to picturesque old style Savoyarde towns with pretty chalet style houses and bucket loads of character.
It is worth checking out each of the resorts listed to see where your group is best suited. The top resorts in the Portes du Soleil include:
Ski holidays in the Portes du Soleil
If you are planning a group ski holiday, then take a close look at Morzine with its fabulous après ski reputation and facilities. Your whole groups’ preferences can be accommodated including any non-skiers who will also have plenty to do exploring the busy streets, packed full of interesting boutiques and shops, and speciality restaurants and bars. Ice hockey matches are also a favourite in Morzine, so why not sit back and relax and enjoy watching somebody else taking the strain after your hard day on the piste!
Many of the properties, certainly in Avoriaz offer ski-in ski-out access making skiing with children a convenient dream. Families return year after year to this ideal family holiday hotspot where you have a winter wonderland playground right at your feet. The nursery slopes run directly back into the resort making even the longest day on skis a gentle run home. The sports centre and bowling alley can keep you well entertained long into the evenings.
The Portes du Soleil is an excellent destination for those looking for real variety in their ski holiday coupled with excellent snow conditions and endless après ski possibilities.
Holiday search for skiing holidays to the 3 Valleys.
Skiing in Avoriaz
Top tips from the Iglu Ski Experts:
Best mountain restaurants
- La Paika in Les Gets - A really nice mountain side restaurant. It’s located on a super easy blue run and they do a BBQ buffet each day with fish and meat.
- La Vaffieu in Morzine at the top of the Golf Chairlift.
- Chez BaBeths at Plaine Dranse in Châtel - A kooky atmosphere that may not be to everyone’s tastes but the food served is delicious.
- La Cremaillere in Les Lindarets.
- Momo’s at Lindarets bowl is the perfect stop for a croquet monsieur and takeaway food.
- Changabang in Avoriaz at the top of the Prodains lift is a fantastic quick snack stop with the best curly fries and curly wraps in Avoriaz!
Best Mountain Bars:
- Happy Hours in Ardent
- Bar Robinsons in Morzine
- Tremplin in Morzine
Best Bars in Morzine:
- Bec Jaune
- Cavern – Where seasonaires go for a big night out
- Le Coup de Coeur Brasserie – Great wine and delicious food
- Dixie’s Irish Bar - To watch spots or spend St Patricks day.
Best Restaurants in Morzine
- La Ferme de la Fruitiere – Very traditional and one of our favourites.
- L’Etale – Popular restaurant in the centre of town that serves a wide variety of food including local specialities like fondue, raclette and hot stone cooking dishes.
- L’Atelier - For a gourmet experience.
- Bec Jaune Brewery - For an excellent mix of local beers and delicious burgers (from pulled pork buns to vegan superfood burgers).
- Restaurant La Grange serves a yummy wild boar stew.
Best ski runs in Portes du Soleil
- Prolays in Avoriaz
- Star Wars run down to Ardent
- You must do the full circuit around Portes du Soleil.
- Skiing in Mont Chery is amazing - a secluded gem in the Portes du Soleil area.
- Long, wide runs from Avoriaz to Chatel
- Great off piste at Happy Valley in Chatel
Portes du Soleil Piste Map