My daughter and I enjoyed our week in Val d'Isere, staying at Chalet Lores, which lives up to its claimed '70s quirky feel. The week we stayed the chalet was full.
- The skiing was varied and enjoyable, helped by a good fall of snow over the first few days of the holiday.
- Chalet Lores is well positioned, close to the old town centre and with stops for the shuttle bus just outside.
- We bought the holiday as a discounted last minute deal and at that price felt we got value for money.
- Our room (room 2) was clean and plenty spacious. It looked out over a shared terrace across the town to the slopes, and had a pleasant, clean, ensuite bathroom (with bath), but see cons.
- The Chalet Hosts were friendly and helpful.
- The food was simple but tasty and filling, including the veggie meals, and the complimentary wine was perfectly drinkable.
- Apres ski is easily accessible, available to suit most tastes, interests and budgets, though Val d'Isere does lean (aspires) toward the more expensive end of the price scale.
- Chalet Lores rather trades on its 70's quirkyness, which it lives up to, but some of the 70ishness looks a bit tired and in need of a refresh / refurb. Basically, the inside of the Chalet needs a good dose of TLC to stop quirkyness lapsing into neglect - it needs some money spending on it!
- Our room was fine but some of the others were evidently on the small size. Given the choice, rooms with a balcony or terrace seemed to be more spacious.
- The boot / ski room was rather cramped. It was in the main, heated part of the chalet but the boot rack was not heated. That said the room did hold eveyone's skis / boards / boots and the boots were reasonably dry in the morning.
- We had a great time here and as a discounted deal felt it was value for money. I don't think I'd have been so happy if I'd spent the full asking price.
- For us it was not a problem but I can see from the condition of the interior where some of the negative reviews are coming from. As mentioned above, some of the quirkyness risks starting to look like neglect.
Accommodation & Value 3/5