Ski holidays in Ylläs, Finland
Lapland is the most northern part of Finland. It is a picturesque, snowy wilderness just waiting to be explored via its countless winter activities. Ylläs is one of the largest ski resorts in Lapland and Finland with 63 ski slopes and 29 lifts.
The spectacular natural scenery in Ylläs keeps guests returning year after year. The excellent selection of cabins and hotels set it the beautiful resort makes a ski holiday to Ylläs the perfect Lapland experience.
Ylläs ski resort
The resort is made up of 2 villages, Äkäslompolo and Ylläsjärvi, which are 15 minutes apart and connected by a shuttle bus. There is a great variety of restaurants, pubs and night clubs in Ylläs, including mountain side restaurants and cafes.
Skiing in Ylläs
Ylläs is a perfect ski resort to learn to ski or snowboard with its quiet slopes, small ski school classes and large selection of beginner slopes. There are 63 pistes totalling 53km of trails, including the longest slope in Finland at 3 km.
There are 4 snowparks spread across the Ylläs ski area where you can find jumps and rails suited for both beginners and experts. Ylläs is a cross country skier’s paradise with a total of 330km of scenic trails through the majestic winter wonderland. Other activities include snowmobiling, husky safaris, reindeer rides, showshoeing and paragliding.
Activities in Ylläs
There is a huge range of unique and fun activities for guest to enjoy on a ski holiday in Lapland. Whether you switch a day on the slopes for a full day excursion or you want to make the most of your week and squeeze in an activity after your day on the slopes, there is something available for the entire family to enjoy. Here are some of the activities and tours you can book on a ski holiday in Ylläs.
Activities you can book with your rep in resort:
- Excursion to Lainio Snow Village by coach or snowmobile
- Overnight stay in Lainio SnowHotel
- Snowmobile, husky or reindeer tours
- Northern Lights excursions
- Snowshoeing (by day or in search of the Northern Lights)
- Visits to meet Santa (all season)
Activities you can pre-book before your holiday:
- Husky ride excursions – 2 and a half hours & 4 hours options. 25 minute drive to husky farm with either 1 and a half hour or 3 hour dog-sled ride.
- Reindeer Safari and Sámi reindeer farm visit – Scenic one hour drive to Sámi reindeer farm. 1 and half hours at the farm feeding and learning about the reindeer before a sleigh ride through the grounds.
- Aurora Photo Workshop by professional Northern Lights photographer – 1 and half hours.
- Snowmobile safaris – 2 hours excursion from in the resort. You have the choice of a family daytime trip or a faster evening adult trip ‘In search of the Northern Lights.’ Longer snowmobile excursions can be booked in resort.
- Snowshoeing Safari – A 2 hour guided tour can be taken during the day or in the evening in search of the Northern Lights with a break around a campfire. Longer options available in resort.
- Lainio SnowHotel - Visit. The 2 and a half hour trip includes a scenic coach ride to the famous Snow Village made of snow before 1 and a half hours looking around the hotel and its stunning grounds.
- Lainio SnowHotel overnight stay – Spend a night surrounded by spectacular illuminated ice art and snow walls for the most unique experience you can imagine!
- Horse-drawn sleigh ride – 2 and half hours
- Northern Lights Horse-drawn sleigh ride – 1 and half hours
- Santa’s Secret Home excursion with private Santa visit for every child – 1 hour drive away and 2 hours at the fantastic place nestled away in a snowy magical forest. Visit santa and his reindeers plus many other activities.
- SantaPark with private Santa visit for every child – Day excursion to an indoor grotto theme park.
Ski accommodation in Ylläs
Iglu Ski has a variety of ski holidays available in Ylläs, including self-catered apartments and lodges to half board hotels.
Stayed here for Christmas 08 and snowboarded. We all had a fantastic time. The snow was brilliant; slopes were really quiet and no queue for the lifts. The food at hotel was not fantastic but there was more choice around resort. Apartments were brilliant with lovely views. The sauna in apartment was excellent and I would definitely recommend anyone to go. It’s a really, really lovely place.