Following the success of Go Ski Go Board last year, Snowsport England’s latest initiative Go Race Go Freestyle aims to capitalise on Sochi buzz and give people more of a chance to mirror the skills of the Team GB skiers and snowboarders.
Go Ski Go Board
In its first year of launch, 10,000 people participated in the Go Ski Go Board sessions across the country where new riders had the chance to try skiing or snowboarding. Snowsport England continues to get more people into ski and snowboard by offering value for money and convenient access to the sports.
Read about last year’s GSGB launch
Go Race Go Freestyle Launch
We met Tim from Snowsport England at the launch of Go Race Go Freestyle and spoke about advice for new skiers and snowboarders, keeping the momentum of the Sochi legacy as well as the GRGF launch and other events coming up. Watch our video with Tim here:
The GRGF launch kicked off at the Snow Centre in Hemel Hempstead this week with Go Ski Go Snowboard Ambassadors, and Team GB skiers, Katie Summerhayes and Darcie Mead. Nick and Krystelle were at the event to meet Katie and Darcie as well as having a taking part in a Go Race Go Freestyle session.
Katie and Darcie talking about their involvement in the campaign, then on the slopes at the Snow Centre
Get involved in Go Race Go Freestyle
Events will be held Nationwide at indoor and artificial slopes and snowsports clubs nationwide. The Go Race Go Freestyle sessions will come in various forms:
- TRY FREESTYLE taster sessions will give people the chance to hit the snowpark for the first time
- TRY RACE sessions gives the chance to try skiing through gates for the first time and experience the buzz of racing.
- GO FREESTYLE sessions involve learning basic freestyle tricks and flying over ramps and rails with a freestyle coach.
- GO RACE’ level takes people through the basic and fundamental skills involved in Alpine ski racing from start to finish in a safe and friendly environment.
- JUST RACE & JUST FREESTYLE are sessions where skiers and snowboarders can regularly take part and immerse themselves in a snowsport lifestyle.
Darcie and Nick taking part in Go Race
Tim Fawke, CEO of Snowsport England said: “Sochi 2014 brought snowsports to the attention of more people than ever before, particularly those inspired by the dynamism and excitement of ski racing or by the fantastic performances from Great Britain’s freestyle skiers and snowboarders. With GO RACE GO FREESTYLE sessions, we are giving people the opportunity to get a taste for another side of snowsports and for people who want to get even more involved, it becomes part of the pathway from grass roots to elite snowsports.”
GO SKI GO BOARD and GO RACE GO FREESTYLE sessions can be found on www.goskigoboard.org.uk
View all our photos from the event on Facebook